It started on Wednesday, February 29,2012 as we raced the storm to Manchester. Thursday and Friday saw amazing qualifying rounds by Betty, our faithful ‘bot, who ended up winning the XEROX Creativity Award as her elegant autonomous mode delivered astounding, consistant results. Additionally, our good friend Ralph Newell won the Woodie Flowers Finalist Award, the highest honor possible for an individual to win at the Granite State Regional.
Regional Finals on Saturday saw the team rocket to the top and take home the gold with our alliance partners, FIRST Team 131 – CHAOS and FIRST Team 1831 The Screaming Eagles of Gilford, NH. Hence, all three teams qualified to attend the 2012 Championship event in St. Louis.
Five FIRST Maine Teams attended the 2012 Championships six weeks later. The posse traveled to St. Louis; Team 58 was joined by FIRST FRC Teams 2648 Infinite Loop, and rookie team 3930 S.M.A.R.T., FIRST FLL Teams 4447 The Pickle I Ate This Morning, and 7069 Sunnyside Up. In St. Louis, we were joined by our Granite State Regional Alliance partner FIRST FRC Team 1831 The Screaming Eagles.
We all rocked as hard as we could and at the end of the weekend the results are as follows:
- FIRST FLL Team 4447 The Pickle I Ate This Morning finished 7th in their division
- FIRST FLL Team 7069 Sunnyside Up finished 59th in their division
- FIRST FRC Team 58 The Riot Crew was seeded 7th out of 100 on the Curie field
- FIRST FRC Team 2648 Infinite Loop was seeded 3rd out of 100 on the Archimedes field
- FIRST FRC Team 3930 S.M.A.R.T. was seeded 53rd out of 100 on the Newton field
- FIRST FRC Team 1831 The Screaming Eagles was seeded 39th out of 100 on the Galileo field.
All teams played fair with Gracious Professionalism and had a great time, even when a tornado dropped into town to say hello. We all stayed inside and watched the final awards and elimination matches on the Einstein field.
After all that excitement and sightseeing there was but one last high point to be found in the weekend as we happily, yet tiredly, made our way home on Sunday. Doctor Woodie Flowers was booked on the same flight as we were! Many of the team members got the opportunity to have their picture taken with him and Zoltar, our team coach, got his hat signed.
The next team meeting will be Monday, May 7th, when we will begin our “corkscrew” retrospective of the year and begin planning for next year.